cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan creation via config extract

kg4265@att.com
Level 1
Level 1

I am copying a config file to flash then to running/startup config. When this occurs the Vlan database is not being created when in  VTP mode is set to server but works when in transparent. Any idea why this is occuring?

5 Replies 5

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

Change your switch from VTP Server to Transparent, then switch it back to server and create your vlans.  It should work then.

Antonio,

Thanks for your response. Is there an explantion as to why this will not work in server mode? The goal is to be able to add vlans to the vlan database if vtp mode is set to server or transparent. If it works in transparent mode when extracting the config file from flash to run/start should it work in server mode as well?

Thanks,

Hi,

I'm not sure that I correctly understand your question. In transparent mode, vlan configuration is a part of your running configuration. In server mode, you need to check it on vlan.dat file stored in the flash.

HTH,

Toshi

It may not have worked in server mode because there was probably (you have confirm this) a vlan.dat file already existing in flash.  If there was then your changes would not create a new vlan database, it would only modify the existing one.  To delete the vlan.dat file, the easy way is to switch from server to transparent, which deletes the old vlan.dat file then when you switch back to server, you can start anew.

Hope that helps.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As others have indicated when in server mode the vlan definitions are in the vlan.dat file.  When you backup your configs you should back that file up which probably a lot of people do not do so thats why you should always have 2 servers  , that way it will know what vlans are available in the network if 1 server dies and if your vtp domain names match  they will get automatically propagated to the new server  when it comes online .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card