Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan numbering format

Is there a numbering system for vlans, i have heard people say vlan10 is a management vlan and vlan 311 is a non approved / insecure vlan for data. I thought the numbers meant nothing but a representation. Do people have specific numbers for certain tasks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

I don't think there is a specific 'rule' regarding Vlan numbering other than the recommendation to NOT use Vlan 1 for management, due to security concerns, and to NOT use the management Vlan for data traffic.

Other than that, as you said, the number is just arbitrary.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I don't think there is a specific 'rule' regarding Vlan numbering other than the recommendation to NOT use Vlan 1 for management, due to security concerns, and to NOT use the management Vlan for data traffic.

Other than that, as you said, the number is just arbitrary.

Thanks for the reply, agreed with your comments. The company i work for has VLAN 10 as the management and VLAN 61 as voice. All good cheers

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As the other posters have noted, there's no usual recommendation for VLAN numbering.

Having worked in large corporations, we did have our own VLAN numbering standards, this so when on different switches, you "knew" the purpose of VLAN. I recall the last company I worked for, the hundreds position was the switch number, e.g. 110 was the first logical user data VLAN (10) on the "first" switch. Or, for example, VLAN 211 was logical VoIP data VLAN, paired with logical data 10 VLAN, on the "second" switch.

Thanks for that, i was never taught other than what you made them but i am hearing it a couple of times, i think its now people making themselves sound a bit smarter than what they are
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card