Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Question

Mokhalil82
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

Please see attached topology. So I am on a host on vlan 2, my gateway is 192.168.2.1 which is on core 2. I can ping the 192.168.2.1, 192.168.100.1, 192.168.101.1 and 192.168.2.2.

Why can I not ping 192.168.100.2 & 192.168.101.2?

IP Routing is enabled on Core 1 & Core 2. The links between the switches are all vlan trunks. 

May be a simple question or a simple config change,I'm just curious on what is required in this situation

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The short answer is you should be able to ping everything.

As you had so many issues today with your 6800s I actually just did a quick lab to absolutely make sure I wasn't giving you bad advice although I would have been very surprised if it hadn't worked.

Obviously I don't have 6500/6800s to test with but the lab does emulate L3 switches.

I can't see why this wouldn't work as long as you allowed all the vlans on all the trunks.

Jon

View solution in original post

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

Is there any "ip verify unicast reverse-path" (or equivalent) command anywhere in Core1's config?  If so, under which interfaces?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The short answer is you should be able to ping everything.

As you had so many issues today with your 6800s I actually just did a quick lab to absolutely make sure I wasn't giving you bad advice although I would have been very surprised if it hadn't worked.

Obviously I don't have 6500/6800s to test with but the lab does emulate L3 switches.

I can't see why this wouldn't work as long as you allowed all the vlans on all the trunks.

Jon

I agree with 'Jon Marshall'

I had just tested your scenario in a lab emulated and there is no reason to not ping the devices with your mentioned setup.

Thanks guys

I was testing this in packet tracer and at the time the pings were failing, I saved the topology and tried it again now and they work. 

Iulian Vaideanu
Level 4
Level 4

Is there any "ip verify unicast reverse-path" (or equivalent) command anywhere in Core1's config?  If so, under which interfaces?

Abbas Rizvi
Level 1
Level 1

Some basic questions:

can you ping from core 2 to all the addresses in core 1.  Are there any vlan access lists?  Are the vlan interfaces up?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card