Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN randomly dropping on one switch

sprocket10
Level 2
Level 2

Brief site design

- 3750 Core switch with approx 10x 3750 child switches all connected directly back to core.

- Approx 10 VLANs (staff wifi, guest wifi, handheld scanner, management, servers, clients etc)

- Core switch is connected to Watchguard firewall that VLANs are configured on

Issue

- Occasionally, about once every two weeks, the handheld scanner wifi VLAN on one switch (always the same switch) stops responding.

- The switch requires a reboot for the VLAN to start working.

- All other wifi VLANs continue to work on this switch.

- The handheld scanner wifi VLAN will continue to work on all other switches.

- All other VLANs continue to work on this switch.

- The APs are configured with a primary IP on the management VLAN which continues to work and never drops from the wifi controller.

I cant see why one vlan on one switch keeps freezing.

Due to the location of the switch in a 24/7 warehouse, the switch needs rebooted instantly and there isnt much time for diagnostics.

7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>...the handheld scanner wifi VLAN on one switch (always the same switch) stops responding.

It's a bit unclear what you mean by that , how do you conclude that a VLAN 'stops working' ?

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

No traffic will pass on that switch while plugged into this VLAN. Its like the VLAN becomes disabled until the switch is rebooted.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What firmware are the switch fleet running on? 

3750-series family of switches, including 3750G/3750E/3750X, have some of the most stable IOS in Cisco library. 

The switches are patched to the latest available firmware.

Hello,

which switch is the root for that Vlan ?

show spanning-tree vlan x

Did you try to delete and recreate the Vlan ?

All the VLANs are created on the Watchguard firewall. Not my ideal solution but this was a site design before my time.

The VLAN hasnt been deleted and recreated, but its only a problem on one switch.

sprocket10
Level 2
Level 2

Why are replies constantly changing to accepted solution, when I am not even doing it. I have even reset my password, so someone is marking answers as accepted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card