cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan routing

gsuggs
Level 1
Level 1

Let me start by saying that I realize I am missing something basic. And fully expect the bombastic to respond in character. That said.

Network is a follows.

Core switch = three stacked 3750x 48

6 other switching closets that are connected via fiber (3650x)

5 vlans. One managed router (MPLS)

At all switches

IP routing is enabled. Each switch has IP’s assigned to each vlan. Vlan addresses are all /24

Problem, all vlan traffic hits the router rather being routed by the switch.

Question, what do I need to do, so the layer three switch will router the traffic without hitting the router.

Default route for each switch is the router

Default gateway for clients is the router (set via DHCP)

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Your active gateway needs to be the stack of 3750Xs or, if you've enabled routing on the edge switches (that's a bit unclear, by your description) gateway should be there.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's not entirely clear whether all switches route or just the stack.

As Joe says the clients needs the default gateway set to the SVI IP addresses on the switch doing the routing between vlans.

You may also need to move your DHCP pools from the router if they are there.

Also if you do route on the switch(es) then you should not use a trunk link and subinterfaces on your router which I assume you are.

You should use a L3 P2P link between your router and the stack and the stack has a default route pointing to the router and the router has routes for all vlans/IP subnets on the stack.

If you are routing on the other switches as well then please clarify.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card