cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Tagging on SRW-series switch

jhintersteiner
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network hooked up to a VLAN-based router through an SRW-2024P switch. There are multiple VLANs running in parallel over the switch I am attempting to hook up a device that has no in-built VLAN capability and I need it to be on VLAN 10.  Unfortunately, I cannot seem to get the switch to tag / untag the traffic on the port.  Every time I attempt to change the PVID value to "10" from "1", I get an error saying that the PVID is invalid.  Please help.

2 Replies 2

Mathias Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

I can't say that I have any experience with this type of switch. But is there any option to creating a VLAN before trying to assig it to a port?

I found this link that might help you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9967/products_qanda_item09186a0080a363b9.shtml

HTH

The VLANs are all generated on the switch, and assigned to the correct ports.  The issue is that I cannot set the PVID at all unless the port is in "general" mode, and here it will not allow me to set the PVID to anything other than 1 (the default untagged VLAN port).  According to Cisco's own instructions, changing this parameter will force untagged packets coming into that port to be tagged with the correct VLAN tag.  However, I keep getting a "Put in a valid PVID value" error every time I attempt to change this to VLAN 10 instead of VLAN 1, despite the fact that VLAN 10 is already defined on the switch.

I've seen this error on both the SRW224G4P and the SRW2024P, both running their latest version of fimrware.  I even tried downgrading the firmware of the SRW2024P, but that did not resolve the issue.

I should also note that the Linksys / Cisco SLM2008 smart switch handles VLAN tagging / untagging in the same way, and on that switch changing the PVID for the port behaves exactly as expected.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card