cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN vs Looping

caseypanotes
Level 1
Level 1

Does VLAN helps to reduce Looping in switch?

5 Replies 5

Khaled Douma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

kind of, VLAN is a part of creating a new broadcast domain, but it will not help you with the already looped VLAN.

Also may help,

STP (Spanning Tree Protocol), is preventing looping when you have a redundant path.

Khaled Douma

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

VLAN loop and LAN loop are ayer 2 loop. the same problems but PVSTP, like in the name, works on per VLAN and is Cisco proprietary if  correctly, while STP works on physical connections between switches

spanning-tree protocols that are suited to different topologies/hardware, you have to use the one appropriate for your needs.

Thanks,
Jitendra

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes and no. 

Everyone here is going to explain the "yes" part. 

In two words, I am going to sum up no "no" bit:  Flat network

VALN not prevent LOOP but it reduce the size of LOOP, HOW?
image SW stack with 1000 ports 

w/o VLAN 
there is LOOP then ALL 1000 port will effect by LOOP 

w VLAN 
there are 10 VLAN and each VLAN have 100 ports 
then LOOP in one VLAN will effect 100 ports only, other 900 ports will not effect. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Reduce looping, as in reducing its impact or in reducing the change of it happening, or both?

Without going into the many different possibilities, VLANs might help reduce looping happening or its impact, VLANs might make no difference, or VLANs might make looping chances of happening more likely and/or its impact worse.  This is very much a "it depends" answer.

With VLANs you might have smaller L2 topologies, at least logically, and/or, conversely, be spread across more L2 devices, physically.  Keep in mind, a loop in a VLAN, besides the expected possible impact to that VLAN's operations, other VLANs, sharing the same physical topology, might be impacted.

In general, I would not factor VLANs into looping issues consideration, i.e. beyond what should be considered when working with any L2 topology, logical and/or physical.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card