Views
Helpful
Replies

VPC and nonVPC Vlans over peer-link and/or separate port-channel

Maxim.Budyonny1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

Just now I'm trying to understand existing configuration of some datacenter.

The pair of N7K are configured with VPC and the port channel for non VPC Vlans.

A lot of IBM X-series servers. Some of them are connected to N7K with VPC but some of them not.

VPC peer link (Po11) carries only VPC Vlans, while inter-N7K port channel (Po16) carries non VPC vlans.

Some Vlan, e.g. Vlan 4 should be passed not only to the server S1 through VPC, but to the server S2. S2 is connected to non VPC ports on the N7K.
I tried to explain it on the figure.

Questions:
1) Should I add Vlan 4 to the Po16 (non VPC) in addition to the Po11 (VPC peer link)?
If yes. What interface  Po11 (peer link) or Po15 (non VPC) should be configured to forward vlan4 traffic? This question is about STP configuration. I consider that only one port-channel can forward vlan4, while another one must be alternative blocked.
What abot more than one vlan with the same conditions?

2)Can I use Po11 (peer link) not only as a VPC peer-link but as inter N7K port channel? Forget about port-channel for non VPC vlans, just add vlans it to the VPC peer-link.

2 Replies 2

You can carry vlan 4 on VPC peer-link. The only consideration should be you should not choke the peer-link as it may disrupt the VPC set up as all control packets are traversing over it. Peer-link allows traffic to be carried for orphan ports(in this case S2.) But this is not  recommeded.  Best pratice is to convert them to VPC too.

Hope this helps

Madhu.

"""" Please rate useful Posts"""""

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You already have 2 links from S2 to both 7ks.  If you make that Po is VPC, than you don't really need Po16 any more.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card