Views
Helpful
Replies

vpc L3 design problem

Muhammed AKYUZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 nexus 7K have vpc.. a swtich has connections to nexus 7Ks.  and a router connected to swtich. I have atatched the diagram.

I want to establish neighbourhood with router and N7K-1   ///  router and N7K-2.  I know cisco does not reccomend running L3 protocols over vpc vlans..

If it does not work, what will be the solution? adding a new connection between Nexus 7Ks for tat vlan? Capture.PNG

3 Replies 3

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

It is not simply a case that the design you're proposing is not recommended, it is not supported. If you take a look at the vPC Best Practice Design Guide this unsupported design is shown on page 75/76

There are a number of options as to how to interconnect routers to Nexus with vPC which are documented from page 71 of this same guide. With the topology you're showing I suspect the designs shown in Figure 53 or 55 are the most appropriate, although not ideal due to the extra physical links you're likely to require.

Regards

Thanks for the answer but i can not get answer dor this question:

If it does not work, what will be the solution? adding a new non-vpc connection between Nexus 7Ks for that vlan?

I'm afraid adding a non-vPC VLAN, and therefore additional links between the Nexus 7K and the downstream switch, and having these links operating with spanning tree is exactly the solution. This is the design shown in Figure 55 of page 73 of the document I referenced above.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card