Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF Routing in VLAN

Arjun Dabol
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have two L3 switches that are running VRF-Lite inside them to separate traffic.

also there are 2 switches between them using which they both can communicate . network between them is L2 as shown here.

L3 switch(6500)<--L2 network-->switchA<----L2 network---->switchB-------L3 switch(6500)

now if I have 3 VRF created on both L3 switches that need to communicate , what should be done here?

I understand we need to create VLANs on switchA and switchB and then may be sub-interfces on L3 switch and do vrf forwarding may be - but how it works ?

can someone help please ?

4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Assuming your 6500's are connected to the L2 switches on interface gi1/1/1, try the following config:

!
hostname l3switch-1
!
ip vrf THIRD_VRF
  description 3rd VRF
!
vlan 10
  name first_vlan
vlan 20
  name second_vlan
vlan 30
  name third_vlan
!
int gi1/1/1
  switchport
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20,30
  switchport mode trunk
!
int vlan 30
  ip forwarding THIRD_VRF
  ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.254
!
!
hostname l3switch-2
!
ip vrf THIRD_VRF
  description 3rd VRF
!
vlan 10
  name first_vlan
vlan 20
  name second_vlan
vlan 30
  name third_vlan
!
int gi1/1/1
  switchport
  switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20,30
  switchport mode trunk
!
int vlan 30
  ip forwarding THIRD_VRF
  ip address 10.10.10.3 255.255.255.254
!

This will create a new VLAN, SVI and /31 link between them using a new VRF. Let us know if you have any more questions.

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks Seb for taking time and reply.

Won't I need VLANs on my L2-switch ? how they will understand what VLANs are carrying vrfs ?

Yes you will need to trunk VLAN30 between the two 6500 via your layer2 switches. I thought you were doing that already from your statement: "I understand we need to create VLANs on switchA and switchB"

Do you need the config for those switches too?

cheers,

Seb.

Hi

The VLANs are important locally only, so on the layer 3 switches you need to create the VRF into the SVI and pass the VLANs over the Trunks, so you can create the VLANs on the layer 2 Switches to transport the VLANs to the other VRF End. 

The VRF VLANs must be created on the Layer 2 switches and I suggest filter them over the trunks on the layer 2 switches, for example:

LAYER 3 SWITCH

ip vrf A

rd 1:1

route-target import 1:1

route-target export 1:1

vlan 10

name USERS

int vlan 10

ip vrf forwarding A

ip add 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

no shutdown

int g1/1/1

switchport

switchport trunk allowed vlan 10

switchport mode trunk

no shutdown 

* You can include more VLANs over the trunks as usual. 

LAYER 2 SWITCH

vlan 10

name USERS 

int g1/1/1

switchport

switchport trunk allowed vlan 10

switchport mode trunk

no shutdown. 

* You can include more VLANs over the trunks as usual. 

Note: if you are executing ping to verify the connectivity you must wait few seconds to see the responses. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card