Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP IP Protocol

vsabariraja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Eventhough HSRP, VRRP and GLBP are redundant protocols, only HSRP and GLBP have port number, but not VRRP. Why?

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

they all have a group number( standby 1 vs vrrp 1 vs glbp 1), this is the only number I can think of regarding your question.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi,

I am not asking about group number, HSPR using UDP port number 1985, GLBP using UDP port number 3222 and VRRP using IP protocol number 112.

What I am asking is, why VRRP is using IP protocol number, but not UDP port number like HSRP and GLBP.

Hi,

because HSRP and GLBP are Cisco proprietary and VRRP is not and the people who created VRRP decided not to use UDP. You could say why are OSPF and EIGRP using IP protocol 89 and 88 instead of UDP, because  the people who designed the protocols decide to.

Regards

Alain

I think because VRRP is a IETF standards, just the guys who designed this protocol - As Alain mentioned HSRP and GLBP are proprietary.

Im not sure if this is the answer to your question - but the RFC link is below.

RFC5798 states:

VRRP
   Master routers are configured with virtual IPv4 or IPv6 addresses,
   and VRRP Backup routers infer the address family of the virtual
   addresses being carried based on the transport protocol.  Within a
   VRRP router, the virtual routers in each of the IPv4 and IPv6 address
   families are a domain unto themselves and do not overlap.  The
   election process provides dynamic failover in the forwarding
   responsibility should the Master become unavailable.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5798

Hope this helps

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: