Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP run on Core or Aggregation layer?

Acortega06
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

well, I'm working in a datacenter, and we have a switch core 6509 on core, and 3750 on aggregation layer, we have a switch 4507 and now we want to implement redundancy on core, (redundancy not load balanced), so, I think to use vrrp for this, but the examples that I found was for vrrp on access and aggregation layer, so I don't know.

topology.png

thanks

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Astrid,

VRRP is a first hop redundancy protocol = it provides a virtual always on default gateway, it is not a routing protocol, so you should use it on Vlans where users PCs or servers connect to.

in your case you should use VRRP on the aggregation layer and you could use a routing protocol between aggregation and core for example OSPF

but you need a layer 2 link between the two aggregation devices to make them talk on all client Vlans in order to elect a single VRRP master in each vlan

you should use an etherchannel made of two links for better reliability.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thanks for your answer, I thought about OSPF or EIGRP for redundancy on core, but my boss doesn't like this idea, I mean he thinks there should be another option, becouse OSPF and EIGRP permit load balanced and we don't want that.

Somebody have any idea?

Antonio Knox
Level 7
Level 7

You need to run redundancy protocols on the distribution or Core layer. I don't recommend it for access layer.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

hi antonio, thanks for your answer, but sorry I don't understand it, I mean you tell me that vrrp can run between core and aggregation layer? becouse if it then is a excelent comment, becouse I had lost the hope with vrrp.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card