Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Issues

vann_will
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I was hoping maybe someone could help me understand the behavior of an issue I'm having with VSS Failover.  Currently I have two 6504's setup for VSS with one connection to the sup engine (10Gig__Connection) and the other connection on the Module 3 10Gig Blade and the same setup on the other 6504.

My question is: If the active 6504 has a power outage or the link on the sup engine goes down, and the standby 6504 becomes active, what happens when the Failed 6504 comes back online with a higher priority and preempt set? What happens with the 6504 that took over as Active and now eeds to go back to Standby, what's required?

Please help if you can, because what I'm seeing is once the Standby took over and became Active in order for him to go back to Standby mode it's asking for a reload to take place is this NORMAL?

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Please help if you can, because what I'm seeing is once the Standby took over and became Active in order for him to go back to Standby mode it's asking for a reload to take place is this NORMAL?

Cisco does NOT recommend turning on the "pre-empt" because of what you are seeing.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with Leo.  Do not use preemption with VSS.  For every change between the stand-by and active, it will require a reboot.

And yes, that is normal preemption will cause reboot and instability in your network.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card