Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Isue in 6509E

mohammad saeed
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Experts,

In my project I have two 6509E core switches and I want to make VSS between them, my question is, Do I need to copy all configuration(Vlans, DHCP, switchport modes...) to the second core?, or VSS is responsible to bring all configuration from the Active VSS to the standby VSS?

Thanks

Mohammad Saeed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you covert an existing chassis to VSS, the interface configuration will be erased.  I strongly recommend you copy the startup-configuration to an external storage. 

Once the configuration is safely backed up, erase the configuration of the two chassis and covert the two into a VSS pair.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you covert an existing chassis to VSS, the interface configuration will be erased.  I strongly recommend you copy the startup-configuration to an external storage. 

Once the configuration is safely backed up, erase the configuration of the two chassis and covert the two into a VSS pair.  

Hi Leo,

So I have to copy it in two chassis. ?

Thanks for your advice

Mohammad

So I have to copy it in two chassis. ?

No you don't.  

The interface commands of a non-VSS chassis will not work in a VSS chassis because of the interface naming convention is incorrect. 

Once the two chassis are joined together as a VSS, then you can edit the interfaces and copy them to the VSS master chassis.  

Hi Mohammad,

In addition to Leo's comments, please remember converting from stand alone switches to vss will cause complete outage to your environment, as the naming convention for all the existing ports will change. For example: if in your current environment port 2/5 from both stand alone switches connect to an access layer switch, when you convert to vss the same port on switch-1 with be 1/2/5 and on switch-2 will be 2/2/5.  So you need to save your config before you convert to vss, modify with notepad and than paste the config to the new vss. Overall, if this is a production environment, you need to do your homework a head of time and have a long outage window to convert to VSS.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card