Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS predeployement with single router

amin.amor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm in the situation where I need to deploy VSS. The main issue is that one 6500 is available but not the second one. The customer persists that I deploy VSS with a single switch while waiting for the second switch to be delivered. I know it is useless but the customer is king.

Can some one let me know if it is possible to convert a single switch to virtual mode without having the second switch?

Regards

Your network partner in Luxembourg
http://www.itnet.lu
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yogesh Ramdoss
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Amin,

Yes, it is possible.

Please follow the Standalone==>Virtual conversion procedure. After the conversion, when the switch is booting up, it will try to bring VSL (which should be connected to switch #2 in future), but the ports won'r come up as they are not connected yet. As a result, this switch will assign itself the "primary" role. It should be fine to run the switch in virtual-mode.

Hope this helps.

- Yogesh

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Yogesh Ramdoss
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Amin,

Yes, it is possible.

Please follow the Standalone==>Virtual conversion procedure. After the conversion, when the switch is booting up, it will try to bring VSL (which should be connected to switch #2 in future), but the ports won'r come up as they are not connected yet. As a result, this switch will assign itself the "primary" role. It should be fine to run the switch in virtual-mode.

Hope this helps.

- Yogesh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card