Views
Helpful
Replies

vss quad sup questions

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

hi all, i have copme across vss quad sup setup

How do I reload the standby sup in the same chassis ? if I do a >redundancy reload peer, this will reload the sup in the other chassis.

how is this achieved ?                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Carl,

according to documentation the in chassis standby supervisor is seen as a linecard with DFC module.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1204229

You can initiate a z-switchover by entering the

redundancy force switchover

command on the in-chassis active supervisor engine. You can verify the  switchover mode of the supervisor engines by entering the

show module

command. 

However, this is not what you are looking for.

To reload the in chassis standby supervisor I would try to do the following:

use show module to find the slot number of the in chassis standby supervisor

then using hw-module command you should be able to reload the module at position slot#

Edit:

hw-module reset

To reset a module by turning the power off and then on, use the hw-module reset command in privileged EXEC mode.

hw-module module num reset

where num is the slot number

WARNING:  this procedure should be tested in a lab environment it is not recommended to test it in production

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Carl,

according to documentation the in chassis standby supervisor is seen as a linecard with DFC module.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1204229

You can initiate a z-switchover by entering the

redundancy force switchover

command on the in-chassis active supervisor engine. You can verify the  switchover mode of the supervisor engines by entering the

show module

command. 

However, this is not what you are looking for.

To reload the in chassis standby supervisor I would try to do the following:

use show module to find the slot number of the in chassis standby supervisor

then using hw-module command you should be able to reload the module at position slot#

Edit:

hw-module reset

To reset a module by turning the power off and then on, use the hw-module reset command in privileged EXEC mode.

hw-module module num reset

where num is the slot number

WARNING:  this procedure should be tested in a lab environment it is not recommended to test it in production

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card