Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS - Single switch per data center

I am replacing two 6504 core switches with Catalyst 9407R switches. I have one in data center #1 and another in data center #2, running HSRP. They are about 400 yards apart running 10G fiber between them. There are small configuration differences between the two switches (different ports), each connected to a different firewall. The firewalls are running active/standby with connections to different carriers. 

We are trying to globalize on a standard for our networks, (VSS). My question is, do I need two 9407R switches per datacenter to run VSS and then run connections from the distribution switches to each data center (2 per). I currently do not have links between some distribution locations that connect to both data centers.

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, for VSS, you only need a total of 2 switches, one 9407 per data center.

HTH

BTW, if these switches are for data center use e.g servers, storage, VMs, etc.. and you have not purchase them, I would use the Nexus series.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Reza is correct.
One per data centre.
You also might want to look at the 9600.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For DC always suggest to use Nexus switches and vPC, to extend the network between DC, you can use many methods, like OTV, LISP, so on depends on requirement.

Cat 9500 or Cat 9600 good candidate, if you looking StackWise virtual.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: