Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS Split

mave250500
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Community Members

Currently we have 5 sets of VSS running on 5 different locations and because of a failure of one of the sup module, we have decided to split the VSS and run normal spanning tree and HSRP/VRRP (for VRFs) to avoid what we perceive as “common cause failure”. Because live systems are connected and the “changes” are controlled, we need to come up with a transition strategy with minimum impact and one of the solution that came to my mind was to use compact flash. So the questions I have for you are:

Has anyone implemented something similar?

Can I use compact flash to carry “new” IOS and “new” configs and simply transfer IOS to sup-bootflash and configs to NVRAM?

For reversion, can I also use compact flash for “existing IOS” and “existing configs” and copy across to correct locations?

If answer is yes, then will the normal Scadisk compact flash works or do have to purchase Cisco branded?

I am also planning on upgrading the Software – currently using s72033-adventerprise_wan-mz.122-33.SXI6 and would like upgrade to a known “bug free” IOS, any suggestions? VSS is nor more required but would like IPv6 capabality

Any thoughts/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can I use compact flash to carry “new” IOS and “new” configs and simply transfer IOS to sup-bootflash and configs to NVRAM?

For reversion, can I also use compact flash for “existing IOS” and “existing configs” and copy across to correct locations?

Yes you can.  I regularly transfer IOS and configs using the CF.  You have to ensure the CF you are going to be using is supported and formated.

If answer is yes, then will the normal Scadisk compact flash works or do have to purchase Cisco branded?

All my CF are 2 Gb size and Cisco DOES NOT SELL 2 Gb.  I have not tried using SANDISK but I know, for a fact, that not all CF are supported.  You may want to go to the nearest electronic or photography shop and buy one of each and test.  If you finally get one, go back and buy some more (including spare).

upgrade to a known “bug free” IOS, any suggestions?

There is no such thing as "bug free".  It's up to you to go through the Release Notes (and test) to determine which IOS is best suitable for your network environment.

However, I have no issues with SXJ-series.  You may even want to try the newer 15.X version IOS.

Hi leolaohoo

Thank you for replying to my post, I will try out this in my lab and see how it goes. Will need to investigate IOS as well, I will post results once I finish testing.

Cheers

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card