Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS with different X2 modules

Hi,

I need to build a VSS between 2xC6506E-SUP2T located in 2 different data centers.

The 2 DC are connected among each other by 2 different paths using single mode fibers:

- path 1 lower than 300m

- path 2 longer than 300m

Both the 10-Gigabit Ethernet ports of the 2 supervisors will be used to create the VSL between the two chassis.

For each SUP2T I'm going to use 1xX2-10GB-LRM for the shorter path. While for the longer path, I'm obliged to use 1xX2-10GB-LR for each SUP2T.

Could you please confirm that the VSL can be built without any problem between different X2 modules? Normally there shouldn't be any problem but I'm wondering if anyone of you already had such situation?

Moreover, do you confirm that VSL over a single mode fiber with X2-10GB-LRM module can go up to 300m?

Thanks and regards,

Vincenzo

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I have used both SR and LR for VSL links with no issues and I think LRM with single mode will work just work fine for you even though the VSS document does not mention anything about single mode.

The Cisco 10GBASE-LRM Module also supports link lengths of 300m on standard single-mode fiber (SMF, G.652).

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

For VSL links, it does not matter if both links are single mode or one single mode one multi-mode or the optics are different..As long as you see the green light on each side of the fiber you are good to go.

Moreover, do you confirm that VSL over a single mode fiber with X2-10GB-LRM module can go up to 300m?

That depends on your fiber.  Are you using OM3 or higher?

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thanks for your reply.

The path for which I'm going to use the X2-10GB-LRM module is less than 300m and it's single-mode fiber.

According to Cisco 10GBASE X2 Modules doc (pdf attached): "The Cisco 10GBASE-LRM Module also supports link lengths of 300m on standard single-mode fiber (SMF,G.652)." 

However in the VSS Q&A (http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-virtual-switching-system-1440/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b.html), the Maximum VSL Distance for the X2-10GB-LRM module is 220m over MMF (single mode not mentioned at all).

So basically I want to understand if, using single mode fiber with X2-10GB-LRM modules, the max VSL distance is effectively 300m.

Thanks and regards,

Vincenzo

Hi,

I have used both SR and LR for VSL links with no issues and I think LRM with single mode will work just work fine for you even though the VSS document does not mention anything about single mode.

The Cisco 10GBASE-LRM Module also supports link lengths of 300m on standard single-mode fiber (SMF, G.652).

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: