cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP and password

londint
Level 1
Level 1

We have set up all our Switches on a VTP domain but I want to be able to add new switches and to be able to use password.

How can I go about doing this bearing in mind that I already have about 6 switches that are not using password? I want these to also use passwords.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I would just configure them with passwords, one by one. Start with the clients and then the servers. Do not make any VLAN changes during the change. In fact it should not take longer than a few minutes to set a VTP passwords on 6 switches. I would open telnet sessions to all of the switches simultaneously and then copy and paste a config template to set the VTP password. As VTP will only send VTP messages every 5 minutes unless there is a change, changing passwords should be possible without interruption.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Also remember before adding new switch in your vtp domain the config revision number should be zero or lower than the VTP config revision number which exist on your VTP server.

If it is not zero then change the VTP mode to transparent and then back to client and it will initialize to zero.

Also once password is set up on your current server and all client switches you can add the same vtp domain name and password to your new switch and just add into your existing network.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card