Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP config not saving after closing Packet Tracer

jh21957
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm in Packet Tracer 7.3 - I have set up my VTP server and client configuration and it all works perfectly. I run the copy running config start-up config command. If I then Power Cycle Devices, everything comes back as it should. However, if I close Packet Tracer andre-open it all the VTP configs appear to have gone.

The vlans are all still listed, but a show vtp status on each Layer 3 switch shows they are all in Server operating mode and the domain name is blank.

A show flash command shows a vlan.dat file on each of the Layer 3 switches - every those that are supposed to be clients and acting in a switching capacity.

I should note that all other configs (routing, ip addresses, etc.) are saved correctly and are still there when I come back to PT.

Is this a Packet Tracer bug, or am I missing a way to save these configs?

EDIT: I have 2 networks, 1 vtp/vlan on each side. 1 networks vtp save, but the other does not.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your help. VTP is supported in Packet Tracer, and it was indeed a bug. A re-install of PT did the trick.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Martin L
VIP
VIP

yes, it is PT bug or not supported feature.  Not all features are supported in PT as it is software sim based on IOS but not real thing.

One Note: VTP info is stored in Vlan.dat file on flash memory in real switch except VTP Transparent Or VTP Off modes which are stored in running config (startup config). So, try PT with configured VTP Transparent mode to see if that works.

Thanks for your help. VTP is supported in Packet Tracer, and it was indeed a bug. A re-install of PT did the trick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card