Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP domain's concept

Hi All,

How many VTP servers we can create in VTP domain environment?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If you have 2 VTP servers in the same VTP domain with the same password (if set) then the VTP server with the higher revision number will overwrite the vlan database of the VTP server with the lower revision number.

It's generally a good idea to have 2 VTP servers in your domain in case one of them fails. It doesn't really matter which one you update. The only time you could get an issue is if both VTP servers were being configured at exactly the same time which is highly unlikely.

Jon

View solution in original post

Hi Sivakanth,

As per the best practice and also Cisco recommended 2 VTP servers for redundancy. This was mainly for CatOS based switches, because CatOS VTP clients do not store any vlan info at all, unlike IOS based clients which keep vlan info in vlan.dat like the servers do. Consequently, if a CatOS based switch reboots and it is a VTP client, and there is no VTP server, it will not have any vlan information at all and those ports configured for vlans that don't exist will be err-disabled (I think). 

Actually We have 3 core 6500's that are configured as vtp servers in the same vtp domain. When we add a new vlan on one of the three vtp servers, the new vlan is replicated to the other two vtp servers along with keeping the revision in-sync. We have not had any vtp related issues in running this type of configuration.

Please rate the helpful posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

By default all switches are a vtp server.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

thx Adnrew,

Can we create Same name VTP servers?

FFor example if i suppose to create VTP server as Cisco one switch  and i will go through another switch and create server  Cisco but both VTP servers will have different Revison numbers

In that situation what is going on please explain me

If you have 2 VTP servers in the same VTP domain with the same password (if set) then the VTP server with the higher revision number will overwrite the vlan database of the VTP server with the lower revision number.

It's generally a good idea to have 2 VTP servers in your domain in case one of them fails. It doesn't really matter which one you update. The only time you could get an issue is if both VTP servers were being configured at exactly the same time which is highly unlikely.

Jon

Hi Sivakanth,

As per the best practice and also Cisco recommended 2 VTP servers for redundancy. This was mainly for CatOS based switches, because CatOS VTP clients do not store any vlan info at all, unlike IOS based clients which keep vlan info in vlan.dat like the servers do. Consequently, if a CatOS based switch reboots and it is a VTP client, and there is no VTP server, it will not have any vlan information at all and those ports configured for vlans that don't exist will be err-disabled (I think). 

Actually We have 3 core 6500's that are configured as vtp servers in the same vtp domain. When we add a new vlan on one of the three vtp servers, the new vlan is replicated to the other two vtp servers along with keeping the revision in-sync. We have not had any vtp related issues in running this type of configuration.

Please rate the helpful posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card