Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP password issue

william.briere
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a 2960 switch that appears to have a vtp password issue. When I erase the config on the switch and delete the vlan.dat file the previously configured info goes away. When I re-input the configuration as it should be it puts a slightly different vtp password than I have typed. Even if I clear the password and retype it the same password keeps showing up.

The info on the switch is below

Model: WS-C2960-24TC-L

SW Version: 12.2(50)SE4

SW Image: C2960-LANBASEK9-M

Any ideas? 

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

William,

What exactly do you mean by a "slightly different password"? Can you provide us with an example? Ideally, post a transcript of your configuration showing how you are entering the VTP password, and then the output of the show vtp password command that shows that the password is different from what you entered.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

It is putting a "0" at the beginning of the password when the first character i type is not a "0".

I am typing vtp password xxxxxxx

and when i type show vtp password

is says 0xxxxxx

Even if I type no vtp password 0xxxxxx and try to type it properly again it says setting 0xxxxxx even after I typed xxxxxxx

It must be a bug in the version of IOS this switch is running. I have setup vtp hundreds of times and have never seen anything like it.

William,

As much as I trust that you are writing exactly what you saw, please understand that we need to see the exact transcript of your configuration session. There may be tiny details that may have eluded your attention but that may give vital information as to what is going on.

Are you able to post that transcript please? Thank you!

Best regards,

Peter

I'm not going to post my vtp password on a public forum sorry. I'm just going to upgrade the IOS on the switch to a different version that matches the other switches I configured without issue and I'm sure the problem will go away.

Thanks anyway.

Hello William,

You could have changed the VTP password momentarily and reverted it back afterwards.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card