cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Propagate Names

ZaneZ
Level 1
Level 1

I have no experience with VTP, but It seemed fairly easy and straight forward to configure. I have a few switches that I put into VTP client mode, and then I have one switch that I put into VTP server mode. All of my VLANs propagated to the client mode switches, but I noticed that the VLAN names never propagated. Is there just a setting I've missed for this?
Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

VTP does not propogate over L3 ports.. If you have the L3 ports I'd just put all the switches in 'transparent' mode, and admin each switch independently.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

michael_eaves
Level 1
Level 1

If vtp is configured correctly, the vlan number and vlan name would propagate.  I would go back and check the vtp modes then check to see if vtp domain, version number, revision number, and MD5 hash (all) match.  If they don't verify the switches are all connected via trunks and the issue is not in the path, also the config to make sure that the vlan numbers weren't just pasted in from the configuration.

ZaneZ
Level 1
Level 1

Do the switches HAVE to be connected via trunk links. My main switches are all connected with trunks, but I have a Layer 3 switch acting as the one VTP server. All the ports are configured as layer 3 ports. I have one port per VLAN on the layer 3 switch. So since I have 4 VLANs I have four links up to the layer 3 switch, and trunking is not enabled since they're all layer 3 ports. Is that my problem?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

VTP does not propogate over L3 ports.. If you have the L3 ports I'd just put all the switches in 'transparent' mode, and admin each switch independently.

ZaneZ
Level 1
Level 1

Ok that makes sense. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card