cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP server has been removed ..what will be the effect of network.

Hi ..I have a confusion that ,What will happen to the clent network, if the VTP server has been removed from network when there is no secondary vtp server exists ..

Also please

Regards,

Vasanth R

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the VTP Server removed, all the client of VTP Lost connection, so you have vlan database issue.

if you looking to remove VTP Server, then make Switch VTP Tranparent and create all VLAN Locally so you minimise the downtime.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the VTP Server removed, all the client of VTP Lost connection, so you have vlan database issue.

if you looking to remove VTP Server, then make Switch VTP Tranparent and create all VLAN Locally so you minimise the downtime.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks for the clearirty.

Good day !

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What version VTP?

For V1 or V2, no immediate impact.  You'll just not have a way to revise VTP VLANs until you change any VTP client to server mode.

For V3, off-the-top-of-my-head, don't know.  I would imagine, again, clients probably might not be immediately impacted, but defining a new VTP server might be a bit more involved.

BTW, with VTP versions 1 and 2, the only real difference between a server and client is the former allows you to revise VLANs on the device, while the latter does not.  However, both replicate regardless whether being a server or client.  (This is one reason VTP has a bad reputation, because adding even a "client", but one with a higher revision VLAN database, will change the whole VTP domain to match it, even "servers".)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card