Views
Helpful
Replies

WCCP redirection of non-directly connected subnets

devltd.net
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a Cisco 7206VXR running 12.4(24)T3 IOS. It is configured with WCCPv2 using L2 mask redirection. I am using service groups and associated extended ACLs to select which subnets I want to redirect port 80 traffic from.

It is working fine for the subnet 192.168.1.0/24....

int gi0/2

ip wccp 10 redirect in

ip address 192.168.1.99 255.255.255.0

... however, there is OSPF running between the router and a Mikrotik device directly connected to this interface. The gateway addresses for all the client subnets are on the Mikrotik. Traffic from other subnets, e.g. 192.168.2.0/24, 192.168.3.0/24 come in on this interface and I want to redirect those too. But it appears that the redirection doesn't work for those subnets (I don't see any hits on the relevant ACL for any subnet except 192.168.1.0/24).

It seems like the router only wants to redirect traffic for subnets that it has an IP address in itself. Admittedly, all of the example configs i've found on cisco.com are for redirecting traffic from directly connected subnets but I can't find anything that denies thie possibility of redirecting any traffic that comes in on a given interface.

The question is, is this how WCCPv2 redirection works? i.e., the router must have an IP address in the subnet to be redirected?

I'd be grateful for any insight anyone could offer.

1 Reply 1

Mathew,

Please note that the clients are also configured on BGP Routing on the same Cisco Router.

Mohanad

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card