Views
Helpful
Replies

Weird arp issue on wireless ap

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

All,

I have a weird issue that deals with 2 routers and a wireless ap. The ap is a Cisco 1130 series, and it has 1 address on it.

Cisco AP:

ip: 192.168.1.5

gw: 192.168.1.1

mask: /24

The site has 2 routers:

192.168.1.3 - primary - over mpls

192.168.1.4 - voice router - over dedicated t1

My monitoring server address is 192.168.50.200.

The problem is that for some reason, the wireless ap is arping for the monitoring server address. It then gets to the voice router and starts to lose packets. I've tried to clear arp on the AP, but that's not doing a thing (almost like it's a static entry, but it's not).

So, what I've done to fix it in the meantime is add a static route on the voice router to point the monitoring server back to my main router. That works, but what I need to know is what situation would cause a device to arp for an address that's not local? I've never seen that before....

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

letsgomets
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like a proxy arp issue. See if you have the configuration option to enter the "no ip proxy arp" on the AP interface configuration.

Then remove the static route on the server and clear arp on the server and any L2 device in between.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

letsgomets
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like a proxy arp issue. See if you have the configuration option to enter the "no ip proxy arp" on the AP interface configuration.

Then remove the static route on the server and clear arp on the server and any L2 device in between.

Right after I posted, I got your message and you were right on....

Thanks,

John

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Fixed....

Thanks,

John

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card