Views
Helpful
Replies

what commands i need to enable snmp on prtg monitors

Dr.X
Level 2
Level 2

hi ,

i have a router that is used as a Bras which ussieed to connect the useres ung DSL  .

there are alot of users when i type the comamd    

# sh ip int b

there are thousands of virtual access ,

my question is , what i need to enable the snmp on some monitors like PRTG Mointor software to monitor my performance of router ????

why sometimes we need to use version 1 , 2, 3 ????  what should we use ??

with my best regards

1 Reply 1

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Ahmed M Alzaeem wrote:

hi ,

i have a router that is used as a Bras which ussieed to connect the useres ung DSL  .

there are alot of users when i type the comamd    

# sh ip int b

there are thousands of virtual access ,

my question is , what i need to enable the snmp on some monitors like PRTG Mointor software to monitor my performance of router ????

why sometimes we need to use version 1 , 2, 3 ????  what should we use ??

with my best regards

On your router, you need something like this

snmp-server community public ro 100

snmp-server community private rw 100

access-list 100 permit 10.10.10.10

This will enable basic SNMP access with the communities "public" being read-only and "private" read-write, and only allow SNMP requests from IP address 10.10.10.10

You can add as many monitoring servers into access-list 100 as you like, and of course you should change your community names.

For an explaination of differences between SNMP versions, see the following URL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Network_Management_Protocol#Version_1

Basically, SNMP v1 is only supports basic authentication and 32 bit counters. SNMP v2c supports 64 bit counters and the same simple authentication, and SNMP v3 supports complex (and encrypted) authentication and 64 bit counters.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco