what is the difference

1. (from both sides)

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 30

2. (from both sides)

switchport mode trunk

switchport mode trunk native vlan 30

switchport mode trunk allowed van 30

in 2. case possible to transmit packets tagged with vlan 0 ?

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For case #2, the trunk interface would accept tagged frames, case #1 would not.  (Yes, if the other side of a physical p2p is also set to case #2, the receiving side should only see untagged frames, but still, cases 1 and 2 differ in what the port will accept.)

in 2. case possible to transmit packets tagged with vlan 0 ?

Zero?

Marco Pinheiro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tagir,

Let me see if I got your point:

an access port mode can carry traffic in one VLAN only. By default, VLAN 1. In you example, VLAN 30.

a trunk interface can carry multiples VLANs.

Sorry but I didnt realize what you mean with "case possible to transmit packets tagged with vlan 0 ?"

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card