cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the purpose of having all the VLANS allowed in trunk?

theslimbot27
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

What would be the purpose of having all the VLANs configured in a trunk like imagine vlan 2-4094 and only have 10 VLANs configured in a switch?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@theslimbot27 wrote:
What would be the purpose of having all the VLANs configured in a trunk like imagine vlan 2-4094 and only have 10 VLANs configured in a switch?

Laziness &/or ignorance.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

This with pvst is harmful for SW,

Allow

Vlan have access port in this sw

Vlan need this sw as transit 

Other vlan prefer to be no allow in trunk 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@theslimbot27 wrote:

Laziness &/or ignorance.

"Laziness &/or ignorance."

BTW, guess I'm in the laziness group, at least I don't believe, in my case, it's due to ignorance.  But, then again, I like VTP too, more laziness - laugh.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming you want to use all of your VLANs on the other side of a trunk allowing all VLANs across the trunk (the default) would accomplish this (without any adverse effects).

On the other hand, when you only want to allow a subset of VLANs to flow across a trunk (to avoid unnecessary/needless traffic on a trunk [NB: although, often/usually only a small percentage of VLAN traffic]), then you need to control what VLANs are allowed across the trunk.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card