cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what version of spanning-tree are we using ? 802.1D-1998 or 2004?

AbdoRefky
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

my cisco switch support PVST/PRSTP/MSTP . 

now it's confusing when i see : the alternative port role at PVST . while it should be discarding .

i know that at 2004 802.1D is Rapid spanning tree . but since the switch support the 3 modes then this version must be 1998 version.

it's 2016, so is there a switches that support normal spanning-tree ? 

system-extension-id idea originally came from 802.1T at 2001, but i can see it on what i feel like it 1998 version which argue the next question

did cisco added some of 802.1W port roles + system-extension-id to the 1998 version ? 

Big thanks 

rburts  

3 Replies 3

Hello,

as I understand it, the '1998' version does not exist anymore on Cisco devices. Cisco has added a few enhancements to the original version (Portfast, BPDUguard, BPDUfilter, ROOTguard, LOOPguard, UDLD, UplinkFast, BackboneFast). These features are optional, if you don't confiigure them, you basically have the '1998' version.

The system extension ID is basically needed because most newer switch platforms do not supppirt 1024 MAC addresses. 802.1w port roles have been added to speed up convergence, but it is not Cisco proprietary, but rather the IEEE standard.

Is that what you are asking ?

Thank you very much for your respond. 

not really what i am asking for, but of course added something 

i wasn't aware of what was the enhancements that has been added to the 1990 version,i guess that what you meant when to said "" you basically have the '1998' version."" (did you meant 1990)

or the difference between 1990 & 1998 is something else . 

gpauwen can you tell me which cisco switches run : PVST+ / PRSTP/ MSTP .  

Hello,

the 1990 version was actually the first IEEE standard

-->"The first spanning tree protocol was invented in 1985 at the Digital Equipment Corporation by Radia Perlman. 

In 1990, the IEEE published the first standard for the protocol as 802.1D, based on the algorithm designed by Perlman.
Subsequent versions were published in 1998 and 2004, incorporating various extensions."<--

I have looked for a Matrix of Cisco switches and various spanning tree modes, as far as I know, unless the switch (software) is pre 2004, most support all modes. Check the data sheets for the respective platform.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card