cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

When entire building network goes down.what are the steps we have to take to troubleshoot?

suhasmanju
Level 1
Level 1

Example: company in headquarters in Tokyo entire building network was down.how to troubleshoot this scenario? please explain.

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Start by collecting information.  Logs, monitoring information, output from "show vers". This will usually lead to something else becoming evident.  If it doesn't, collect more information until it does.

Dan
Level 1
Level 1

First, you need to define "down".  Was local switching up, but WAN access down?  Was local switching down?  Were you able to access the management interfaces of the network gear?

Depending on what was down you can narrow down how to troubleshoot.  First off, how was the issue resolved?  Rebooting a switch, or router?  It could be something like an interface went into an err-disabled state, and rebooting the switch cleared it.  If you have logs going to a syslog server and SNMP configured then you should be able to review the logs and anything like that should be visible.

If you are unable to find it, generate a "show tech" and then open a case with Cisco.

Hello

If the whole network went down most probably due to a network loop, and your having issues accesing any devices, I would recommend start at the core layer switch work away from it.

The core will most probably have all the interconnects to your distribution or access layers switches.

Apply a continuous ping to a few known devices on the network and then, independently close off  and re-enable each interconnect from the core whilst monitoring the pings, at some point the pings will again become stable, and its then you can slowly narrow down the root device on a certain switch causing the loop?

This has been very successful for me when faced with this kind of issue and can honestly say its a very useful way of TS a network unfamiliar to yourself.

Personally I wouldn't recommend reloading any device whilst you are doing this, As it can just mask the root cause of the problem and sometimes create the same issue elsewhere within the estate.

Collecting logs and monitoring is all good if you have the time to do it, But my past experiences  have taught me that management aren't interested  in you collecting data , The want their network up ASAP, The analysing and post mortem can be done later.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card