cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where Should be up-links connect on Stacked switches for best performance.

Hello All,

I am looking for advice on where to place uplinks on the switch stack from two core Switches(Running HSRP and connected through the port-channel)and which switch should be Master & Master secondary.  For example, I have a stack of 3 switches (1-3 racked vertically) my first switch is set as the master, second switch is set to take over for the master. Does it matter where I place the uplinks?  I have here enclosed a sample Network diagram for clear understanding.

Thank you 

Note: - The Switch stack model:  2960-X

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The Cisco CVD for campus networks states that uplinks should not be placed on the master switch.

So for your stack, place the uplinks on switch 1 and 3, with switch 2 being the master.

I'll see if I can find the reference...

cheers,

Seb.

Here it is:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6800-series-switches/guide-c07-733457.html#_Toc406542409

Search for section:

Cisco StackWise and FlexStack Switch Priority Recommendation

Hi,
I just have gone through the reference link provided by you and check with indicating section, But I found it a little bit confusing, the switch having UPlinks, having lowest priority values ?? But Master & second master should have the highest priorities values.

Correct. You want the switches which have the uplinks to be the last switches to be elected master.

Why?

As a best practice, decoupling the control and management-plane
operation with uplink port operation in StackWise and FlexStack
switches is imperative.

This will be a requirement driven by the stackwise architecture. Sorry I don;t have a fuller explanation. Maybe digging through old Cisco Live presentations on stackwise will unearth some engineering details if you were hungry for the details.

cheers,

Seb.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Put the uplink in the 2nd and 3rd switches.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card