cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which is a better design of these 2 options?

sajjandnk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am in a dilema while designing a network for a small campus with around 6 switches.

Kindly suggest which of these 2 are  better  designs in the core:

Scenario 1: There is only one core switch 3560 that has 2  uplink from 1  2960 switch and another 3560 switch(this also has a 2960 connected to it)  from different  blocks.

By using 2 3560, and configuring ether-channel on these 2 switches, Can I attain redundancy at this collapsed core ?

Scenario 2: To have 2 3750 as core switch and connect it in stackwise , connect redundant uplinks from 2 blocks to each 3750s  and attain redundancy.

Kindly provide your valuable advice on these 2 designs. Which one is better and how can I make this design more effective with configurations.

Warm Regards,

Sajjan.

Message was edited by: Sajjan dnk

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

sajjandnk wrote:

Hi all,

I am in a dilema while designing a network for a small campus with around 6 switches.

Kindly suggest which of these 2 are  better  designs in the core:

Scenario 1: There is only one core switch 3560 that has 2  uplink from 1  2960 switch and another 3560 switch(this also has a 2960 connected to it)  from different  blocks.

By using 2 3560, and configuring ether-channel on these 2 switches, Can I attain redundancy at this collapsed core ?

Scenario 2: To have 2 3750 as core switch and connect it in stackwise , connect redundant uplinks from 2 blocks to each 3750s  and attain redundancy.

Kindly provide your valuable advice on these 2 designs. Which one is better and how can I make this design more effective with configurations.

Warm Regards,

Sajjan.

Message was edited by: Sajjan dnk

Sajjan

What you don't want is a 2960 to be only connected to one 3560 because if that 3560 dies then you have lost connectivity for all clients connected to t 2960. So there is little redundancy in this setup.

So definitely not your first option.

However if you had 2 3560 switches then you could make them both the core switches, connect them with etherchannel trunk, run HSRP and uplink your 2960 switches to both 3560 switches.

That approach would be very similiar to the 3750 approach except the 3750 stack would have greater bandwidth between each switch than the 3560's would. The 3750 switches also support MEC (Multichassis etherchannel) so you can connect your 2960 switches to both members of the stack and use all the bandwidth for uplinks. With the 3560 solution i suggested one of the uplinks would be blocked.

So from a purely design perspective, ie cost etc. not taken into account, i would go with the 3750 solution.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card