Views
Helpful
Replies

Which SFP module for SG350X stacking?

Remo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I hope someone can help me because I am going mad trying to find the right answer.

I need to do 2 things:

1. Stack two SG350X switches using fiber or copper.

2. Connect the stack to my core switch, distant about 100m (330 feet), using fiber.

I don't need the configuration part, I only want to understand which SFP Modules to buy.

The supplier quoted me for 2 different transceivers:

MGBSX1 and SFP-10G-SR
I don't understand the difference between the two and I would like to know if I need them both.
The SFP-10G-SR is very expensive compared to the MGBSX1, which is the one I think I only need.
I should be needing 3 modules, 2 for the stack and 1 for the connection to the core.
On the core side everything is already connected.

I have provided a simple drawing (it's terrible, I know) just for a better description.
If anyone can explain this to me I would be very grateful.

Thank you
Remo
1 Reply 1

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

MGBSX1 is for multimode fiber, 1Gbps speed, up to 500m.

SFP-10G-SR is multimode fiber, 10Gbps speed, 26-400m.

The selection of uplink SFP module depends on technology used on the far end. If there's a 10GB multimode module on far end, you can't use MGBSX1 here.

According stack - 1Gbps interconnect for two SG350X sounds so slow to me. You should consider 10Gbps even here.

Note I prefer copper against glass for stacking - e.g. SFP-H10GB-CUxM= (where x=1,3,5 - it's the length of cable in meters). Or MGBT1 if you are sure the 1Gbps is enough for you. Cooper interconnects are cheaper than the fiber one.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card