Helpful
Replies

Which Switch or Bridge

garland123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Support Community

We are looking to expand our network.

Scenario = 2 floor building, we currently occupy upstairs use a new 881W for all connectivity including Wifi. LAN connectivity is through a 24 port Netgear Switch.

On ground floor we hope to mirror this with a couple of GigE connections from upstairs. Into a similar 24/48 port switch.

Ideally we would like the switch to also have a wireless AP if possible. But want all the DHCP/Firewall etc managed by 881W.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dave

5 Replies 5

shehinpm1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Malcolm,

You can connect another mangable AP in the SW,configure any  same LAN ip to AP (exclude that frm DHCP) in AP piont G/W to router interface.Where is u r DHCP configured?

Message was edited by: SHEHIN PM

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't get your question.

If you want a switch to replace your Netgear then ... the cheapest is a 2960S series family with LAN Based IOS.

For PoE support, get the model with a "P" in the end.

How are you connecting the upstairs with the downstairs.  I hope it's not wireless.

For wirless access point, you can consider 1040 or the 1140.

Hi

Thanks for the response.

In regards to the "1040 or the 1140." - silly question but they are Ethernet in > Wifi Out.

But my overall question was (apologies, wasn't clear).

Is there a 24 port switch with an integrated wireless AP. - just to save rack space.

Connection between the two floors will be via ethernet cable - the issue is the wireless wont propogate from upstairs (concrete floor) to downstairs, hence the need for a wireless AP.

Thanks again

Is there a 24 port switch with an integrated wireless AP. - just to save rack space.

No there is not.  If there was one, I would not recommend it.  Why?

1.  You mentioned two words that do not mix:  AP and rack.  If you put an AP near a cabinet rack, the rack is going to be enclosed in some kind of wall to protect people from the racket.  This is not good because you want the AP to be surrounded by wireless clients and not a wall.

2.  A separate AP is recommended because you can position it correctly.  With a switch in a rack cabinet it's really difficult to position the switch (or the rack cabinet) to be around the client.  Plus rack cabinets tend to be made out of metal.  Metal and wireless don't mix.

silly question but they are Ethernet in > Wifi Out.

This I don't understand.

hi malcom,

its just the medium which is different when working with wifi. the L2 standard stays the same. so its ethernet in and ethernet out but not over a copper cable, but over radio waves.

hope you meant that.

HTH,

Florian

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card