cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why I can't reach a distant LAN IP of a router, from a PC and not from a router?

nonstopper
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When I try to trace the LAN of a router from another cisco router, it stops on the WAN, but when trying from a  Win7 PC it reaches.

Is there a reason?

Thanks.

6 Replies 6

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

It depends on what it uses as the source address when you traceroute from a Router.

The wan. And there is a public IP there

Have you checked that there are routes on the return path for the router IP.

Jon

Well, I don't have access to the distant router to perform a bi-directional, but what I understand is that if the ping responds successfully is because both routes are know, correct?

The strange is that pinging from a PC it goes correctly.

Windows uses icmp for traceroute whereas Cisco uses UDP. Your traffic on the other end may be allowing icmp messages through, but not udp. I believe Linux uses udp as well, so if you have access to a Linux server and this is the cause, you should see the same result as the router does.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

but what I understand is that if the ping responds successfully is because both routes are know, correct?

Yes, but if the PCs IP may be from a different IP subnet than the routers IP so havng routes for the PC's IP does not necessarily mean there are routes for the router's IP.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card