Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why I see time in brackets next to the hostname? [xx:xx:xx:xx]

Hey, I was playing around with some lab configurations, and suddenly I got in my Putty connection to my router

an output anytime I hitted enter like this:

[xx:xx:xx:xx](hostname)#

in brackets it seems it was the time in msc, secs, mints, etc.

I tried everything! only to fresh install helped,

anyone seen this before?

5 Replies 5

Hello
Have you changed the service prompts on the rtr/asa or is this putty change you made?

Example;
conf t
service line numbers
servcie prompt 

or
prompt hostname state xxx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hey Paul! thanks for answering

Unfortunately didn't make it happen. I'm attaching a screenshot of the issue I had yesterday, probably I didn't explain it well

Let me know your thoughts please

Kind regards

are you using Linux ? if yes try use Win and see timestamp appear or not

Hi MHM!

Thanks for responding!

No, I was using windows + regular putty terminal

My thoughts are that probably I typed some combination of keys that made this happend,

as I took a look at the running config, and there was nothing special there.

I also rebooted the Router, and brackets persist.

In my frustration I started making tons of combinations with my keyboard and the putty connection to the router

but brackets never disappeared, until I clean the config and start it again

tbh I've never seen those brackets before. It was a timestamp def. but not sure where it came from or how

kind regards

In my experience the time stamp in brackets is an indication that the router does not have an authoritative time source and is running on its own internal clock. Without more information about the router and its config there is not much more than I can offer.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card