Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows terminal software to connect to serial

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I'm about to use windows 2000 or windows XP to connect to a serial port on a 3560 switch. The problem I have is I don't know what software to download, that is free, to allow me the PC. Can someone please suggest some to me. And a little guide on how to set them up. I've always used minicom on linux.

Thanks

Dan

4 Replies 4

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Try Putty:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

The documentation that comes with it is pretty comprehensive, although it hardly needs any instructions as it's very intuitive.

HTH

Andrew.

chris.lepa
Level 1
Level 1

TeraTerm is a great program too. You don't have to download any software though, Windows comes pre-loaded with hyperterminal.

Programs->Accessories->Communications->Hyperterminal

PuTTy is a good freeware terminal emulator that supplies both telnet and SSH support through its history of releases. And in the new release I understand that it does support serial connection.

Tera Term is also a good freeware terminal emulator. I find it a bit easier to use than PuTTy.

The best thing that I can say about HyperTerm is that it comes installed on Windows so that you do not have to load anything. And it is generally functional.

The terminal emulator that I like the best is SecureCRT. It is not free. But I find that it works the best, has the widest range of supported features.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

jesusdamian
Level 1
Level 1

I just use Hyperterminal

When you create a new HyperTerminal session, just set the communications mode to "Direct To Com1" or whatever com port the serial interface is set to. then set 9600 8 1

that should be all you need. its how I connect to all my switches.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card