cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless networking

chris noon
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to wirelessly network my house and I have a basic knowledge of networking and can program it.

My question is based on the ports use. When you get the package, it comes with an rj-11 a modem and then something that comes out the router and into the male USB.

How do I connect this to the router?

1. Will the router have a port for the rj-11 to go into?

2. Or will I have to get a USB to rj-45 converter?

Thanks

Chris

3 Replies 3

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Chris,

Basically your router should have ethernet RJ-45 ports in it.

If it is acting as an ADSL modem as well then it will have an RJ-11 port to connect to your phone line that your DSL is on.

If you have a seperate wireless access point then this should have RJ-45 ports. Connect this to your router with an ethernet cable.

Your PC should be connected to your router by RJ-45. Or you can just connect wirelessly.

If you have a USB connection on your router this would typically be to connect a DSL or cable modem to your PC directly. This would require you to install software on your PC. I would try to avoid this. Be sure to use the router to share the internet connection as this is what they do best.

I might be off the mark here. Feel free to post more info on the gear and internet service you are using.

Cheers,

Tim.

Hi Tim,

That did help a lot as i was unsure about the way to go about connecting it all up, i think your suggestion - connecting the RJ-11 to the router (for the internet access) and then connecting everything else wirelessly or via the RJ-45 provided would be the best solution.

I don't currently have any of the equipment in front of me as i am studying at university and have to do this for my parents when i get home.

I should be able to get this done, if not i will be back on here asking more questions.

Thanks

Chris Noon

Awesome Update Cheers :)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card