Replies

WRED Configuration on C9200

xzevallos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to use the following command on my C9200 switch:

random-detect precedence precedence percent min-threshold max-threshold

It will be configured under a policy-map.

According to every document I have read so far, the min-threshold and max-threshold values are given as a percentage. But percentage of what?  I cannot find a clear explanation for this.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"But how can I find out the overall queue size that WRED is being used against?"

Cannot say for sure, as I don't have a C9200 to "play" with, and how and what stats Cisco devices show aren't always exactly the same, for same command, between devices, but, have you tried a show policy interface?

"Also, is there a way to determine if the threshold values I chose are working well or not?"

Depends on how you define "working well".

"Any recommendations on initial threshold values?"

Depends on your traffic and your QoS goals.

(Sorry if my last two answers seem to be ducking your questions, but using RED optimally requires a deep understanding of your traffic's attributes and what you want to accomplish using RED.)

When I wrote in prior post "I generally advise, unless you're a QoS expert, don't use WRED.", I'm not joking.

The way RED (WRED) is simply explained, it seems such a great approach and easy to use to obtain wonderful results.  It can be very effective, but it's (surprisingly) difficult to get it to work ideally (even if you're a QoS expert).

Without going into all the issues I believe you can run into using RED, (which many later variants "try" to fix or mitigate), "typical" network applications, and their "expectations" of network service, might just differ a bit since 1993, which is when Dr. Floyd proposed RED.  (Also since '93, network hardware is, generally, more "powerful", and "smarter" approaches can be used rather than RED.)

With LAN devices, e.g. LAN switches, often many congestion issues, beyond dealing with really sensitive traffic, e.g. VoIP, are dealt with by using more bandwidth.

Where bandwidth is more more problematic to obtain (or afford), routers, with their more full featured QoS, can do QoS "better" than a LAN switch.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would "assume" the percentage is based on the overall queue size that WRED is being used against.

BTW, WRED doesn't drop all packets that instantaneously exceed its max-threshold, although such packets are dropped when egress queue depth is exceeded.  It only drops all packets that exceed its max-threshold based on the average queue depth.  I.e.  instantaneously queue depth and RED average queue depth are often different.

PS:

I generally advise, unless you're a QoS expert, don't use WRED.

xzevallos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your answer.  But how can I find out the overall queue size that WRED is being used against?  Also, is there a way to determine if the threshold values I chose are working well or not?  Any recommendations on initial threshold values?   

"But how can I find out the overall queue size that WRED is being used against?"

Cannot say for sure, as I don't have a C9200 to "play" with, and how and what stats Cisco devices show aren't always exactly the same, for same command, between devices, but, have you tried a show policy interface?

"Also, is there a way to determine if the threshold values I chose are working well or not?"

Depends on how you define "working well".

"Any recommendations on initial threshold values?"

Depends on your traffic and your QoS goals.

(Sorry if my last two answers seem to be ducking your questions, but using RED optimally requires a deep understanding of your traffic's attributes and what you want to accomplish using RED.)

When I wrote in prior post "I generally advise, unless you're a QoS expert, don't use WRED.", I'm not joking.

The way RED (WRED) is simply explained, it seems such a great approach and easy to use to obtain wonderful results.  It can be very effective, but it's (surprisingly) difficult to get it to work ideally (even if you're a QoS expert).

Without going into all the issues I believe you can run into using RED, (which many later variants "try" to fix or mitigate), "typical" network applications, and their "expectations" of network service, might just differ a bit since 1993, which is when Dr. Floyd proposed RED.  (Also since '93, network hardware is, generally, more "powerful", and "smarter" approaches can be used rather than RED.)

With LAN devices, e.g. LAN switches, often many congestion issues, beyond dealing with really sensitive traffic, e.g. VoIP, are dealt with by using more bandwidth.

Where bandwidth is more more problematic to obtain (or afford), routers, with their more full featured QoS, can do QoS "better" than a LAN switch.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card