Views
Helpful
Replies

WS-4500X-32 IOS and ROMMON upgrade versions

nenadl
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have two WS-4500X-32 switches that are running in VSS mode.

Current IOS XE version is 03.06.05.E.152-2.E5 and current ROMMON Image is 15.0(1r)SG10.

I want to upgrade IOS XE image to SPA.03.11.02.E.152-7.

My main question do I need to upgrade ROMMON for this new version to 15.0(1r)SG11?

On Cisco site I can see "For VSS functionality, you must upgrade to ROMMON IOS Version 15.0(1r)SG7."

So I'm guessing  for VSS you need any ROMMON version that is above SG7.

And in my cased I don't need to upgrade ROMMOM from SG10 to SG11 for new version 3.11.02.E.

Can someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks,

N

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you will find if the rommon upgrade is required in the release notes

there is only the requirement for VSS you all ready  found
the conclusion is, is it is only advised, not required to use the latest rommon version

you need to read the release notes of this rommon to determine if this upgrade has advantages for your environment (caveats fixed )
and is it is worth the risk:

The following caveat is open for ROMMON IOS Version 15.0(1r)SG11 and ROMMON IOS Version 15.0(1r)SG14:

• A ROMMON software upgrade from version 15.0(1r)SG10 to version15.0(1r)SG11 or to version 15.0(1r)SG14 on a C4500X switch causes the devices to hang.

Workaround: Power off and then power on the devices. CSCut66603

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you will find if the rommon upgrade is required in the release notes

there is only the requirement for VSS you all ready  found
the conclusion is, is it is only advised, not required to use the latest rommon version

you need to read the release notes of this rommon to determine if this upgrade has advantages for your environment (caveats fixed )
and is it is worth the risk:

The following caveat is open for ROMMON IOS Version 15.0(1r)SG11 and ROMMON IOS Version 15.0(1r)SG14:

• A ROMMON software upgrade from version 15.0(1r)SG10 to version15.0(1r)SG11 or to version 15.0(1r)SG14 on a C4500X switch causes the devices to hang.

Workaround: Power off and then power on the devices. CSCut66603

Hi pieterh,

thanks for comment. I was reading release notes before, just was not sure, needed another "pair of eyes".

As its not mandatory I will leave them on 5.0(1r)SG10 since I don't have any problems with hitting some bugs on SG10.

Regards,

N

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card