cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2811 video conference over the internet

jake-savage
Level 1
Level 1

A client currently has a 2600 router running IOS 11.3. He's doing video conference over the internet and it's been working well so far. He recently purchased a brand new 2811 running the advanced security IOS version 12.3.14(t7).

When the 2811 is installed, web surfing, downloads, etc are perfect. Exactly what you'd expect. Unfortunately, his video conference just sucks. Video is really choppy and the remote end doesn't get any audio. Occasionally they'll get a quick blurb of audio, but that's it.

I've tried upgrading to the latest and greatest advanced security IOS. I've even tried running ipbase IOS. It doesn't matter, the video/audio is terrible.

We plug the 2600 back in and everything is smooth. We're going to try an MFT card instead of the v2 card next week...

I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any. I've opened a case with TAC to see if the differences between 11.3 and 12.3.14 would cause any issues with the video and audio.

3 Replies 3

mmelbourne
Level 5
Level 5

How does the video traverse the router; is the router performing NAT/IOS Firewall etc? Do you have any errors on the LAN/WAN port?

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

can you provide the interface config on the 2811? Video would most likely need some QoS settings in place. Maybe this should be done with CBWFQ or LLQ instead of older legacy methods available in IOS 11.3

Regards, Martin

don.meyers
Level 1
Level 1

I think you might want to go back and just check the basics, just to make sure its right.

Prefered setup, video endpoint and router connected to the same switch, router <-> switch locked at 100/Full; video endpoint and switch prefered locked to full 10 or 100, older units may only do half and it will still work good. (If possible put any and all ethernet ports locked at 100/Full involved in the stream)

With the router and video endpoint on the same switch and locked you should be good to go.

If any port is auto, you might not see errors, but you'll loose video/audio and/or see jitter on the video, sometimes to the extreme.

It your routers are busy doing other traffic (whos isn't), it is in your best interest to implement QOS, if you need some hints just ask, and I'll or someone can pop up an outline.

We're doing H.323 calls over 2811's across the Internet up to 30 sites, back to a central connected site. We run 384k as a norm, so it is will work. To make it even harder, we punch it through IPSEC tunnel.

Came from a mixture of 2621's and Checkpoint fw's, so it will work and work good. Just got to find the kinks and fix them.

Hopefully this helps.