cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

78xx firmware upgrade (sip78xx.11-0-1-11) -TFTP error

spclizd01
Level 1
Level 1

I have uploaded the new 78xx firmware (sip78xx.11-0-1-11) to the TFTP servers and restarted the TFTP  services. There are a couple of phones that have displayed a message in CCM admin page " TftpClient could not write out the results". There are other phones at the site that have completed the firmware update without any issue, but for some reason these haven't. I'm upgrading from sip78xx.10-1-1SR. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?

7 Replies 7

I have the same problem but factory reset does not work. Any suggestion?

Best regards,

Daniel Sobrinho

Daniel Sobrinho

Did you try installing "sip78xx.10-3-1-12" first? What version are upgrading from?

11x requires that you have 10-3-1-12 installed first.

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/web/software/282074288/130143/cmterm-78xx.11-0-1-11-readme.html

Hi dwasserzug1,

The actual verison is sip78xx.10-1-1-9. I am upgrading to sip78xx.10-3-1-12. I have the anothers IP Phones that upgraded as you can see below:

Registration Registered with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 10.5.196.6
IP Address 10.7.4.18
Active Load ID sip78xx.10-3-1-12
Inactive Load ID sip78xx.10-1-1-9
Download Status Successful

The problem happen with some ip phones that does not upgraded. I have tried to upgraded one by one but did not work.

Best regards,
Daniel

Daniel Sobrinho

I would do the following:

• Verify the load is installed on all CM nodes.
  • Restart TFTP on all nodes.
  • Verify there are no ITL/CTL signatures from an old call manager on the phone.
  • Verify that the configuration file is correct 'tftp -i IP_of_CM get SEP000000000000.cnf.xml.sgn'.
  • Change the device pool to match the phone that upgraded.
  • Factory reset the phones.
  • Open TAC case.

Hi 

Now I got. 

I have created a local tftp with desktop in the same LAN. I have downloaded the file from CUCM XMLDefault.cnf.xml with cmd windows and the firmwares zip files. All of them allocate in the same directory root from tftp.

tftp -i IP_of_CM get  XMLDefault.cnf.xml

I have change the DHCP reference option 150 to new IP in the LAN and perform a factory reset in the IP Phones.

After all IP phones upgraded I change the reference DHCP option 150 to CUCM again and restart the ip phones.

Everything works fine now.

Best regards and thank you for support.

Daniel

Daniel Sobrinho

dwasserzug1
Level 1
Level 1

The error message you are seeing is telling you that it cannot make the jump to this version of firmware. When going from a 10x version of many 78xx, 88xx, and 89xx series phones, Cisco requires you to first upgrade to the 10-3x version of the firmware prior to upgrading to the 11x version. This is because the 11x version assumes you already have the phone loads of the most recent previous version.

In this case you will need to upgrade to "sip78xx.10-3-1-12" first.

Relevant error messages:

"DeviceImageDownloadFailure"

"[FailureReason=4]"

"Device firmware download has failed"

"Download Server: 0.0.0.0"

"Inactive Load Failure Reason TftpClient could not write out the results"

Here is a more detailed answer for anyone that might need the background information:

1. Check to see if you have this version installed by running "show version active" and "file list tftp /sip78*" on the CLI; or use the OS Administration to check for files beginning with "sip78".

2. If you do not have it, download and install the option package or upload firmware. If you simply upload the firmware remember to restart the TFTP service under Cisco Unified Serviceability.

3. Once you have this installed make sure it did not set itself as the device default ('Device -> Device Settings -> Device Defaults").

4. Find the phone that wont upgrade and put "sip78xx.10-3-1-12" in the "Phone Load Name" field. Select "Save" and then "Apply Config" and be patient. In my case the phone reset a couple of times and eventually went to upgrading. Once the download status changes from upgrading to successful, remove the load name from the "Phone Load Name" field. Select "Save" and then "Apply Config" to initiate the upgrade to the 11x version you are stepping up to.