Views
Helpful
Replies

Audio Bandwidth configuration for Video calls

juergen.seidel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Customer wants to have G.729 as codec for all Audio calls, therefore Parameters Intra- and Interregion Max Audio Bit Rate are set to 8kbps. That works fine.

For Video calls they want to have AAC-LD as Audio Codec. But although AAC-LD ist on 1st Position in the Audio Codec Preference list always G.729 is chosen. It seems that the Setting for "Intra- and Interregion Max Audio Bit Rate" is also Chosen for the Audio part of Video calls, although the Parameters "Default Intraregion Max Video Call Bit Rate (Includes Audio)" and "Default Interregion Max Video Call Bit Rate (Includes Audio)" are set to 6000 and according to the description should include the Audio part.

Any hint on that?

Regards

Juergen

3 Replies 3

Please create a dedicated region for your video end-devices with below setting 
Maximum Audio Bit Rate = AAC-LD
Maximum Session Bit Rate for Video Calls= whatever customer wants or video end device supports

Please note "Default Intra- and Interregion Max Audio Bit Rate" will be used if you keep default setting in the region. If you specify something  into the region, it will take that and will not go to the service parameter.

Please rate the comments if helpful.

Thanks for the answer, but this is not really a good solution. That would mean to configure an additional Region for all Locations where I have Video devices. And when a Jabber changes from Audio-only mode to Video config has to be changed etc. This is not really operations friendly...

In an Environment with only some Locations that might be ok, but we have ~1300 branches...

Regards

Juergen

I am sorry, I never realized that you have that many branches. Per my understanding, the default settings will not meet customer's need as they want AAC-LD audio codec for video calls. When we make a video call, there are two separate streams take place, one is for audio which is same as regular phone calls (g729 in your case), another stream is for video. Default Intra- and Interregion Max Audio Bit Rate setting will be applied on regular phone call as well as audio section of video calls. If you have region created, you can specify codec  other than default setting.

I know this will not work for you. Please share your findings if get some.