Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ce8.xx Sip listen port and outbound mode

So...
On TC7xx our codecs were configured with SIP Listen Port "off" and Outbound Mode "on".

With the realease of CE8 Cisco removed the option to configure outbound mode. 
So now all our codecs running on CE8 platform gives the warning:

"WARNING: SIP Listen Port And Outbound Mode

The current SIP configuration may not permit SIP calls. Verify SIP configuration and connectivity status. Ensure that SIP is configured either in outbound mode or has the listen port enabled"
How ever, it is not possible anymore to "Ensure that SIP is configured ... in outbound mode". 

The reason we have the Listen Port off is because all of our 80-90 codecs are on public IPs and with Listen Port On we get tons of SIP abuse calls to our codecs.

Unfortunately restricting SIP in FW/router is not an option for us.

Everything with our codecs that run CE8xx works as intended, It's just damn annoying to get that warning, even more so when the warning tells you to configure something that is removed from the config options. 

And as I understand it you cant even configure it through the API.

Best Regards
Anders Burmeister

Systems Manager Video | IT-Webb Editor

Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences

5 Replies 5

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well it's just cosmetic and only seen when logged into the web interface of the endpoint, honestly you had to deal with the warning when running TC software, so it shouldn't be an issue.  Something to note, although they removed those specific SIP configurations from the API, they can still affect how the endpoint operates if they were disabled prior to upgrading to CE software, so the warning you're seeing is still valid, it's just you can't do anything about it unless you downgrade momentarily back to TC software.

Well yes its cosmetic, still very annoying. 
No, we did not have this warning on the TC software since there we could use the combination of Listen Port Off and Outbound Mode On.

All our systems affected by this were set to SIPLP Off & OM On prior to upgrading to CE.

So it is my conclusion that upgrading to CE removes the previous setting of Outbound mode made on the TC software, so temporary downgrading to TC to fix this issue does not work unfortunately. 

sicherr12
Level 1
Level 1

When I configured with SIP Listen Port "off" and Outbound Mode "on" I lost registration with my VCS-C so currently I keep both off and ignore the error in diagnostics. Not sure what outbound controls.

Regards,

Ricardo

Disabling ListenPort stops the endpoint from listening on port 5060/5061. Enabling outbound means that all incoming and outgoing calls will reuse the connection open from the endpoint to the VCS from the initial SIP Register message.

You can also refer to the TC software based SX Series Admin Guides for example to read about SIP ListenPort and Outbound.

We have a C40 that is configured in this manner on the public internet registers to our VCS-E and have no issue with it dropping its registration.  

Thanks for the information Patrick.  It was helpful.