cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C40 remote controlling opposite cameras

Brien Woodaman
Level 1
Level 1

I have a C40 unit set up with two cameras, one 12x and one 4x. The system is being controlled by an AMX control system and when using the touch panel to control the cameras everything is correct. 

The problem occurs when I select a camera for example the front room camera, then use the remote to move that camera except the rear camera moves instead of the front camera which we had selected. 

I have a feeling that this is related to camera ID's and how the wrong ones are being selected. I looked on the the xstatus for each camera and they have different ID's but I still do not know why they are working backwards. 

Any thoughts? 

Thank you, 

Brien 

11 Replies 11

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like you have either your control or video cables backwards, I've seen this many times in rooms where two cameras are used.

When you select the camera that is meant to be the front camera, do you see the front camera video?  When you try to move the same front camera, which camera moves?

When using the control system everything is working 100% the way it should. 

The front camera button shows the front camera, and moves the front camera. The rear camera button shows the rear camera, and moves the rear camera. 

When I select the front camera and use the remote to use it, the rear camera moves. The same situation happens when the rear camera is selected and trying to use the remote the front camera will move. 

I have tried reverting the cables and what not and get the same reaction. 

It sounds like the camera control cables are backwards, can you pull an xStatus for the cameras and tell me which camera is supposed to be #1 (main camera) and #2 (secondary camera)?  The reason the control system is correct, is they probably programmed it to control the camera directly, and the touch panel buttons can be named whatever they wanted, so you might think you're controlling the correct camera without issue, however you're not based on the remote of the codec, just like you're seeing right now.

Something I just realized, these cameras are daisy chained, duh. blush

Let me correct my previous statement, it sounds like the video is backwards, because the camera control cables can only be conifigured in one way using a 12x and 4x cameras.

So with that said, you're looking at two possible things:

1. the video cables are backwards for each camera
  2. and if they are backwards and then you say the camera's are now backwards, then the camers were installed backwards

Had an issue just like this with another C40, someone installed the cameras correct, however they got the video cables backwards.  The main camera was being controlled correctly, though the secondary camera was moving, lucly for them, the main and secondary camera was in the correct place, just the wrong video was showing.

If after you swap the video, and the remote is now working like it's supposed to be, you'll need to contract your control system integretor and have them fix there code, and tell them they installed the cameras wrong and need to update there program to match the proper configuration.

Thank you for all the help on this problem! 

I have the 12x camera as the first camera, the 4x is daisy chained off of the 12x. 

The video is working correctly for each camera, it has just been the c40 remote that is backwards. 

I have the 12x camera going to input 1 on the c40, and the 4x going input 2 on the c40. 

We have changed the code to work in the reverse of what it was and the remote was still functioning on the opposite camera. 

I pulled the xstatus for the 12x camera and it is as follows: 

Camera 1 connected: True

Camera 1 HardwareID: 50000004

Camera 1 model: PrecisionHD 1080 12x

Camera 1 softwareID: S01718-4.FINAL (ID:40083) 2012-12-10

Then just the camera positions etc.

For the 4x camera the info was the same except the hardware ID was 50000003. 

Are we going in the right direction here? 

Thanks again, 

Brien 

What I would do is this.

Disconnect all cameras, and connect only the 12x control and video, make sure that is working.  Then connect the 4x control and video, and see what happens.

The remote should work fine, unless something in the codec is misconfigured.

It sounds like the camera control IDs are set wrong.

In the web interface, go to Configuration > System Configuration > Video.

Then, for each of the Input Sources, set the CameraID for each of the two cameras the other way (ie, Set Source 1 CameraID to 2, and Sourt 2 CameraID to 1, or vice versa).

You can do it via the CLI as well

xConfiguration Video Input Source 1 CameraControl CameraId: 2

xConfiguration Video Input Source 2 CameraControl CameraId: 1

This should fix it so the remote works the right way.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

That's good to know Wayne, didn't know of that one!

Thanks

No worries Patrick.  It's a trick I've had to use a couple of times :)  Especially when someone else has done the wiring work and you're not sure which way the camera control daisy cables are connected.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate responses and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Brien Woodaman
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone for the help i was able to get this system working with the changing of the camera IDs

Brien 

Great to hear that you've got it working Brien.

Please remember to rate the responss and to mark your question as answered to assist other forum participants in the future who may come across a similar problem.

Wayne

Wayne