cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Meeting Server - Business Messaging

ghalady
Level 1
Level 1

I am considering the following approach for a prospective client who is interested in a Cisco UC solution (900+ users) with video conferencing (20+ rooms) to be added as a second phase. The customer has Lync deployed and has to decide Jabber or SfB for all users.  If Jabber is chosen then we have to maintain a Federation between Jabber and SfB users during the long period of implementation.

Can I do the following?

• Use R-CMS-K9 a zero dollar cost item
  • Use the required min of 25 NEW-UWL-11X-MTG @$600 List
  • and deploy Business Messaging for all 900+ users (virtual room etc)

I can add the Shared Multiparty License later a la carte or w/ Cisco room nodes in Phase 2.

If possible, it will enable us to counter "Teams" and other options by providing a low cost pervasive messaging and collaboration platform to build upon in phase 2.

5 Replies 5

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

NEW-UWL-11X-MTG is a Personal Multiparty License, it is assigned to specific users within Cisco Meeting Server and cannot be shared among users.  If you want all 900+ users to be able to use CMS for audio/video conferencing, you'll need to do one of the following: PMP license for each user, use CMS API to remove PMP license from user and assign to another, use SMP licencing.

Overall, we will need a limited subset of people needing audio and video conferencing.  However, we need all 900 people to be able to do Business Messaging.  Question is what is delivering or is anything limiting the Business Messaging capability to all users?

Take a look at the Partitioned Intradomain Federation for IM and Presence Service on Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Release 11.5(1)SU2, from the guide:

Partitioned intradomain federation enables IM and Presence Service client users and Microsoft Lync or Microsoft Office Communicator users within the same enterprise to exchange presence Availability and IM.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  But my main question remains unanswered.  I want to know precisely what minimum licensing for a subset will result in delivering the virtual room functionality for all users.....Thanks

I want to know precisely what minimum licensing for a subset will result in delivering the virtual room functionality for all users.....

My earlier reply answered that in regards to video or audio conferencing when using Cisco Meeting Server, for every person that you want to be a conference host they either need a PMP license or an available SMP license.  Once the conference is licensed using either PMP or SMP, anyone can join up to the available capacity the hardware allows.

For IM&P between Jabber and Lync/Skype for Business clients, you can make that connection directly between CUCM and Lync/SfB, without the need of CMS, refer to my previous reply about federation.