Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SX20 Auto Power On

alynch30
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys,

We just installed two new SX20... I'm trying to fix an issue that was not there in previous models.

The unit will turn on automatically when there is people around even if the option “WakeupOnMotionDetection” is set to off.

I had comment today of a user the booked the room that was the using the video conference.

The behavior he got was that the unit was turning on then going to sleep after 10 minutes and then turning on again.

How do I disable this completely?

11 Replies 11

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
What software version is the SX20 running?
Confirm that Standby WakeupOnMotionDetection is disable.
Is Proximity in use? Maybe maybe the endpoint detects a proximity client.

Software version:ce 9.2.2 f7269d5 2017-12-12

WakeupOnMotionDetection is set to off

Proximity is on but no one has the software yet.

Is it possible there is sensor on the remote control? (Version6)

I'll try to remove battery from remote control and see if it's waking up still.

If that does not work I'll try to disable proximity

The TRC6 remote control doesn't have any type of sensors like the TRC5 remote controls do.

After further testing Proximity is not the culprit.

You are saying there is no sensor in the TRC6 but this is incorrect.

If I put the controller away the codec does not turn on on its own!

If I take the controller back to the room the codec turn on instantly without any button press.

I don't know how this sensor works but it seems quite sensitive... If the controller is on the table and I enter the room the codec turn on without me even touching the remote.

This is annoying I hope there is a way to fix it.

From what I can tell, the TRC6 remote does indeed have a sensor. It's a different type of sensor than what was on the TRC5 remote. I did a test, and if the remote is sitting on a table, I can kick the table, just enough to make the remote move a bit...the result, the SX20 turns on. I can also pickup the remote, touching no buttons and the SX20 turns on. I'm leaning toward the remote having a gyroscope or acceleromter.

I recently purchased about 15 remotes - sure hope they're not too sensitive where the SX20 keeps turning on unintentionally. :)

What I meant by no sensors was like the rubber pads on the side of a TRC5 remote control. I'll see if I can get back into that room and test again, though I'm testing with an SX10 (all I have at the moment), but in theory I'd think it should act the same way.

I have an SX20 and a TRC6 remote, and can confirm that waving the remote does wake the endpoint up (waving the TRC6 even woke up an old MXP95 that I have in the lab).

Unlike the TRC5, the TRC6 does not have a switch to lower the sensitivity.

As a longer term solution, you'd be best trying to migrate away from using the remotes and using the Touch10 controller (or equivalent 3rd party device) as none of the newer endpoints work with remote controls and all use the Touch controllers.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Quite a costly workaround that you are proposing.

Any chance Cisco can add the option to disable the remote controller sensor?

alynch30 wrote:

Any chance Cisco can add the option to disable the remote controller sensor?

That'd depend on how the feature works and is coded.  For such a request to be considered, you'd need to contact your local Cisco Account Manager and ask them to log it through the internal systems as an official "Feature Request" for consideration in a future software release.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.

Hello, Wayne!

You said earlier: "Unlike the TRC5, the TRC6 does not have a switch to lower the sensitivity." Please tell me how to reduce TRC5 sensitivity? We have two SX20 with TCNC7.3.5.a93bdb1 and one SX20 with TCNC7.3.21.6ac6d47 onboard.

Thanks!

Remove the batteries and you will find a small switch.  

Wayne