Views
Helpful
Replies

CMS functionalities

sofiane__
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Since the MCU is at the end-of-sales, I am looking for an equivalent device, so Cisco documentation seems to designate CMS as replacing, However, I would like to know whether:

1. CMS includes built-in gatekeeper like in MCU ?
  2. CMS allows to join conference without using any gatekeeper registration ?
  3. CMS recording and streaming option allows me to dispense with the order of a specialized device like Cisco Telepresence Content Server TCS ?

Thank you in advance,

Sofiane

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is no built-in gatekeeper like the MCU products, so endpoints must be registered to CUCM/VCS or third-party call control server.

Standalone endpoints can dial into CMS, for H323 calls, they should first go through an VCS/Expressway to interwork between H323-SIP.

TCS is EOS (eos-eol-notice-c51-738128), and the replacement is CMS.  The recording option of CMS can record and stream conferences, however a streaming solution such as VBrick Rev is required to view the recordings and live streams as CMS doesn't have a built-in portal.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sofiane,

The features related info is available in the datasheet, the call capacity of CMS based on platform is given below

able 2.       Call Capacity on Supported Servers

Type of Call

Cisco Meeting Server 1000*

Cisco Meeting Server 2000**

Full HD calls (1080p30)

HD calls (720p30)

SD calls (448p30)

Audio calls

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/conferencing/meeting-server/datasheet-c78-737519.html

CMS can be deployed in different ways as per the config guides below

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/conferencing/meeting-server/products-installation-and-configuration-guides-list.html

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is no built-in gatekeeper like the MCU products, so endpoints must be registered to CUCM/VCS or third-party call control server.

Standalone endpoints can dial into CMS, for H323 calls, they should first go through an VCS/Expressway to interwork between H323-SIP.

TCS is EOS (eos-eol-notice-c51-738128), and the replacement is CMS.  The recording option of CMS can record and stream conferences, however a streaming solution such as VBrick Rev is required to view the recordings and live streams as CMS doesn't have a built-in portal.

sofiane__
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your complete answer. However, since CMS does not support streaming I do not understand why in Cisco Meeting Server and Cisco Meeting App Data Sheet at "Ordering Information" section it is mentioned "3. Options such as branding or recording and streaming can be added." ?

Sofiane

CMS supports recording and streaming, streaming was introduced in CMS 2.1.  CMS generates a flash stream, so it needs an external streaming server to distribute it so it can be viewed, such as VBrick Rev.  Suggest you take a a look at the CMS Configuration Guides, they can help answer some of your questions, as well as how CMS is configured and operates.

I understand now, thank you for assisting me.

Regards,

Sofiane